ISSN: 0973-7510

E-ISSN: 2581-690X

Abdulkarim F. Alhetheel1,2 , Ahmed M. Albarrag1,2, Ali M. Somily1,2, Deqa H. Mohamed1,2, Fahad A. Alzamil1,3, Shaikh M. Iqbal1,3, Sarah S. Alsubaie1,3, Muslim M. Alsaadi1,3 and Mohammed A. Alothman1,4
1King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
2Department of Pathology/Microbiology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
3Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
4Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
J Pure Appl Microbiol. 2015;9(Spl. Edn. 1):609-614
© The Author(s). 2015
Received: 18/02/2015 | Accepted: 27/04/2015 | Published: 31/05/2015
Abstract

Respiratory viruses are common in causing acute respiratory illnesses with significant annual morbidity and mortality. Detection of these viruses is critical to guiding appropriate patient management and infection control. To date, many viral infections are under–reported or misdiagnosed due to the limitations of current techniques available for routine respiratory viruses testing. Thus, we aimed to characterize circulating human respiratory viruses causing acute respiratory disease and hospitalization using real–time multiplex PCR. Of the 129 samples tested for human respiratory viral infections, 96 (74.42%) samples were positive for at least one virus, whilst the remaining 33 (25.58%) samples were negative for all. Among the positives, 60 (62.5%) cases were infected with a single respiratory virus, compared with 36 (37.5 %) cases infected with multiple respiratory viruses. Throughout the study period, the most prevalent viruses detected in both single– or multiple–infections were human rhinovirus (HRV) with 42 (43.75%) positive cases followed by human metapneumo virus, respiratory syncytial virus B, and influenza A virus infections with 20 (20.83%), 17 (17.71%), and 14 (14.58%) positive cases each, respectively. In summary, 45.7% of all hospitalized cases were infected with a single respiratory virus, and HRV was characterized as the dominant virus causing acute respiratory illness in Riyadh. Continued monitoring of circulating respiratory viruses in the region is necessary to understand their epidemiology.

Keywords

Respiratory viruses, multiplex real–time PCR, Riyadh

Article Metrics

Article View: 0

Share This Article

© The Author(s) 2015. Open Access. This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted use, sharing, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.